Basic Deviled Eggs
Recipe courtesy of Susan Ford, Publisher Louisiana Kitchen & Culture
Makes 24 pieces
Place eggs in a saucepan large enough to hold them in a single layer; cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, cover, turn off heat and let eggs sit 15 minutes. Drain, run under cold water until eggs are completely cool. Peel; cut in half lengthwise. Remove yolks and pass through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl. Add mayonnaise, mustard, and butter; mix until smooth. Blend in lemon juice and seasoning; taste and adjust. Place in a pastry or zip-top plastic bag with a corner snipped off. Fill egg white halves with egg yolk mixture. Sprinkle with garnish. Makes 24 pieces.
- Horseradish and Bacon: Substitute prepared horseradish for Dijon and 1 tablespoon room-temperature bacon drippings for butter. Garnish with crisp crumbled bacon.
- Creole Italian: Eliminate mustard, butter, lemon juice, seasoning, and chives/green onions; substitute 1/2 cup finely chopped prepared Italian olive salad and 1 tablespoon Creole mustard. Garnish with small olive rings.
- Sweet Southern Pickle and Pimiento: Substitute 3 tablespoons finely minced sweet pickle relish for butter; eliminate lemon juice. Garnish with tiny strips of pimento.
- Chèvre with Asparagus: Decrease Dijon to 2 teaspoons. Substitute softened chèvre goat cheese for butter. Garnish with thin slices of blanched asparagus tips.
- Truffled Luxury: Increase mayonnaise to 1/3 cup; decrease Dijon to 2 teaspoons; replace butter with 2 teaspoons black truffle oil; add 2 teaspoons minced chives. Garnish with thinly shaved black truffle (optional).
- A la Creole Française: Replace lemon juice with two teaspoons Champagne vinegar; add 2 teaspoons crushed herbs de Provence. Garnish with your favorite black caviar.
- Silky Smoked Salmon: Substitute softened cream cheese for butter; add2 tablespoons minced chives and 4 ounces top-quality smoked salmon, finely minced. Garnish with salmon or tiny nonpareil capers.
- Bleu Apple: Replace butter with finely crumbled bleu cheese; add 1 tablespoon minced parsley and 1/4 teaspoon celery seed. Garnish with thin slivers of green apple.
- Creole Crab Maison: Increae mayonnaise to 1/2 cup; decrease Dijon to 2 teaspoons. Add 1 teaspoon minced celery and 1 teaspoon minced parsley. Blend. Fold in 6 ounces lump (not jumbo) Gulf crab meat. Garnish with finely minced Creole tomato.
- 1 of 14
- next ›